I just discovered Awesome Table, a tool that allows users to visualise Google sheets into maps, tables, graphics, cards, etc. without coding skills.
This gadget contains multiple extensions that make interactivity easy. Geocode, for instance, is an add-on that geolocalises data from the spreadsheet and creates a map with interactive tables.
Here I explain how to do it in 6 steps:
1. Get Geocode on Google Chrome web store.
2. Create a spreadsheet or re-use an existing one
Make sure that the spreadsheet contains a column with the location (full address or postcodes).
3. Go to Add-ons -> Geocode by Awesome Table -> Start Geocoding
4. Select the column that contains the location and click on Geocode!
Awesome Table will start getting latitudes and longitudes in two new columns next to the address.
5. Customise the tooltip
Choose the columns with the information that you want to display when clicking on a marker.
6. Create and open the map to visualise it:
Take some time to review the markers and check the information on the table by using the filters. You can go back to change the tooltip information (knowing some HTML and CSS will allow you to go further on the design).
Embedding the visualisation in 5 steps
1. Sign in on Awesome Tables and select new view
2. Create a new sheet
and paste the URL from the Google spreadsheet:
3. Choose the view that you want to display. In this case, a map with a table
4. Give a title to the visualisation and save it
5. Get the code to embed the map on a website:
Do you have more examples? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter at @mcrosasb